Re: Typhonodorum lindleyanum

At 05:24 PM 7/4/2000 -0500, Julius wrote:

>What you describe should be fine for growing Typhonodorum sucessfully, and
>you may not have to use such a huge pot, 15 or 20 gal. pots should be just

OK.  As I get older, tossing around a 50 gallon pot of soil in the pond can get
unmanageable.  If I can get large leaves with a smaller pot of soil, that
would be great.

>  Be careful with your choice of 'soil', as some highly organic mixes
>quickly rot when put under water, the plant dies, and when the dead plant is
>removed from the pot, the soild smells like a dead dog!!

Ah, I know that smell!  OK, thanks for the tip!

>  The late Dr.
>Monroe birdsey grew his in a pot of mainly coarse sand with some peat moss
>mixed in, he stood the pots in fish ponds, and the fishes waste fertilized
>the plants.   I believe he aslo used to bury a couple of those solid, hard
>fertilizer 'balls' about the size of a marshmellow in the soil mix.

>IF you manage to produce a monster (I`ve seen them to 6', with a 9" dia
>'trunk'!!!!) after several years of growth, then you may consider a slightly
>larger pot!

For the next year or two it will be an experiment in growth for one season
only.  I don't heat the pond all year.  And I am sure the Oregon winters
will kill it off even if the water were warm (?).  Perhaps I can play with
starting a seed in winter indoors, then moving the plant outside for one
growing season and see how I do.  Then when the greenhouse gets built I can
make a place to grow one all year.

Might is be possible to produce seed from a plant in one growing season?

>They will withstand 60 degs F. for a while, but NO cool/cold winds with it!
>Warm water temps. wibe a big plus!

OK, I suspect I could maintain good temps in the future greenhouse.
Thanks again for the good info!

jack in Oregon