Re: Typhonodorum lindleyanum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Typhonodorum lindleyanum
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 18:39:54 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Honeycutt <jhoneycutt@uswest.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Wednesday, July 05, 2000 5:50 PM

At 05:24 PM 7/4/2000 -0500, Julius wrote:

>What you describe should be fine for growing Typhonodorum sucessfully, and
>you may not have to use such a huge pot, 15 or 20 gal. pots should be just

>OK.  As I get older, tossing around a 50 gallon pot of soil in the pond can
unmanageable.  If I can get large leaves with a smaller pot of soil, that
would be great.<

You will be fine with a 20 gal MAX. size pot!

>  Be careful with your choice of 'soil', as some highly organic mixes
>quickly rot when put under water, the plant dies, and when the dead plant
>removed from the pot, the soil smells like a dead dog!!

<<Ah, I know that smell!  OK, thanks for the tip!>>

>  The late Dr.
>Monroe birdsey grew his in a pot of mainly coarse sand with some peat moss
>mixed in, he stood the pots in fish ponds, and the fishes waste fertilized
>the plants.   I believe he aslo used to bury a couple of those solid, hard
>fertilizer 'balls' about the size of a marshmellow in the soil mix.

>IF you manage to produce a monster (I`ve seen them to 6', with a 9" dia
>'trunk'!!!!) after several years of growth, then you may consider a
>larger pot!

<<For the next year or two it will be an experiment in growth for one season
only.  I don't heat the pond all year.  And I am sure the Oregon winters
will kill it off even if the water were warm (?).  Perhaps I can play with
starting a seed in winter indoors, then moving the plant outside for one
growing season and see how I do.  Then when the greenhouse gets built I can
make a place to grow one all year.>>

I don`t think I understand---one season will give you a plant maybe 12-18"
(INCHES!) tall--it will take several years (3-4???) at the least to get
anything of any size!!   You will HAVE to over-winter these small plants
SOMEHOW IF you want to eventually have sizeable/mature plants!!

By the way IF you have a couple seed to spare let me know, I know a guy that
wants a couple.

>Might is be possible to produce seed from a plant in one growing season?<

NO sir!!   This is one of the Aroid giants, my BEST guess is a growth period
of several years before seed!

>They will withstand 60 degs F. for a while, but NO cool/cold winds with it!
>Warm water temps. will be a big plus!

>OK, I suspect I could maintain good temps in the future greenhouse.
Thanks again for the good info!<

You will need to over-winter any you get before you build the g/house.   How
do you presently over-winter the trop. w/ lilys??