Re: Veg. prop. of A. titanum.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Veg. prop. of A. titanum.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 18:39:00 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Bjoern Malkmus <bjoern.malkmus@verwaltung.uni-mainz.de>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Thursday, July 06, 2000 10:41 PM
Subject: (Fwd) Re: Titan at Bonn

Dear Bjoern (and others who would be tempted to try this "self-mutilation"
(?),

BEFORE you cut, PLEASE read Craig Alen`s (Fairchild Tropical Garden) method
of getting this monster to produce several small tubers from a large one
simply by under-potting!!   To me, this would be the way to go!   A. titanum
is said to be VERY prone to rot when damaged, so why risk this cutting
method???!!!  Self-vasectomy next??  (JOKE!)

Bjoern, all the Anchomanes sp. are up, large, and look great!   Thanks!
(It`s 3.30 AM, here, no sleep in my eyes!)

Cheers,

Julius

> >Just noticed that I wrote this mail only to Donna ...
+++
> Thanks for the propagation information that you posted to the aroid-l
> newslist. I would be concerned that the whole tuber would die by this
> method! You were very brave to try it.

Brave is not quite the word for it, rather something like "committing
suicide .."

No, just kidding, not quite. I was seriously weighing pros and cons
before getting my hand on belovbed ones and then decided to try
this.

Another reason for a go was the first tuber of A. titanum I received: It
had as any other tuber of this species one main vegetative point but
the more there were obviously two very small ones at it's side (each
merely exceeding 1mm ». During the following growing cycle however
these were absorbed by the main tuber.

Then I came across the damaged tuber of A. bulbifer which produced
new offsets as a result of a damaged vegetative point. So I draw my
conclusions for A. titanum and it seems I was right, (or was it just
good luck ?).

Currently I have a tuber from A. yunnanense growing, and it makes
four equally sized leaves (and subsequently I think it will split up
into four separate tubers) as the vegetative point had been destroyed
in transport. And last but not least there is another tuber (from the
recent distribution of Wilbert [PD Wil: money  = donation is being
sent soon, I am awaiting some cash from the US ...] which has a
severly damaged vegetative point and it now makes offsets all over
(though I am not sure if this is quite natural for A. longituberosus
anyway).

A. titanum is a much sought after species and as I try to
commercialize it without having the possibilities to get any specimen
to flowering size (and thus won't have any seeds from my cultivation)
there is either multiplication by in-vitro (of which I do not have a clue
nor the technical services) or by out-of-the-ordinary methods ...

But belive me, it shook my heart making the first cut and it took
tubers a long long time to recover. So this is probably not the best
method.

> I hope you have a fine time viewing the Bonn flowering.

As Thomas announced it just started to flower, so I think Saturday
will be a perfect day. I am going to take lots of fotos !!!

>Say hello to the
> people at Bonn for me. I just met Markus Radscheit for the first time
> at a conference in Asheville, North Carolina. He had a poster about
> Bonn's work with this species. They are a fine group of people there
> and have done so much work with this species.

If I have the chance to get a hold on anyone I will tell them, but
probably the whole city of Bonn is going to visit the garden this week-
end. Hopefully I will be able to have a glance at the flower ;-)

Cheers and good night (it's 4:30 in the morning, couldn't sleep ...)

Bj»rn Malkmus
------- End of forwarded message -------<<