Re: Rhaphidophora sp. at Fairchild Tropical Garden

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Rhaphidophora sp. at Fairchild Tropical Garden
  • From: Jody Haynes <webmaster@plantapalm.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 21:41:06 -0500 (CDT)

> << The taxonomists dealing with live-bearing fishes beat you to the
>punch! for
>  example:
>   Heterophallus
>   Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora
>   Phalloceros >>
>
> That is because the live-bearing fishes actually HAVE phalli (at least the
> males!), an unusual feature in fish.  Your example Phalloceros does indeed
> have a horned phallus.

Jason, you are correct in that the males of these species have phallic sexual
organs. The official name of the male "sex" organ of many livebearing fishes
(which is just a modified anal fin) is 'gonopodium'. Oddly enough, my Masters
research was on fishes in the Family Poeciliidae, which includes common
aquarium
fish such as guppies, mollies, swordtails, and platys. Who would have
guessed that
I would be a "plant guy" now? (Certainly not me!)

Jody