Pseudodracontium pollination and ID

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Pseudodracontium pollination and ID
  • From: Adam Black <paleoart@digital.net>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 22:08:54 -0500 (CDT)

 I purchased a Pseudodracontium last year as a single blooming sized
plant (had a dried up inflorscence still attatched). This year when it
came out of dormancy, it returned as two equal sized plants, both the
same height as last years single plant. Both plants now each have an
inflorescence that will probably open within the next day or so. I would
like to know if the flowers can be pollinated, exchanging pollen between
the two inflorescences, considering the two plants are clones. What is
the best method for manually pollinating Pseudodracontium flowers? In
the recent discussion of A. titanum pollination, there was mention that
the female flowers are receptive before the males, and pollen must be
collected from one plant and used on another blooming plant when the
stigmas are receptive. Would this apply to Pseudodracontium, and all
other aroids for that matter? Assuming one inflorescence opens before
the other, what would be the best method for collecting pollen and then
applying it to the second inflorescence? Should they both open at the
same time, does this mean there is no chance for me to  get any seeds
from my plants?

I just went outside to look at them again and both of the inflorescence
are starting to open, one is a little more open than the other.

Please excuse my ignorance in this subject. I have learned a lot from
this list and hope to learn much more.

By the way, what would be my best resource for identifying the species
of my Pseudodracontium? It was purchased from Fairchild Trop. Gardens
last year, the tag just says Pseudodracontium sp, Thailand, with an ID
number. Does the fact that it comes from Thailand narrow down the
possibilities? I have never seen any other Pseudodrac's so I don't know
it there are distinct differences between the species. Will a photo be
of any help, or are the species very similar?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Adam Black