Re: Gonatopus

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Wunderlin <pmdes@iafrica.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Monday, June 26, 2000 9:39 PM
Subject: Re: Gonatopus

Dear Peter,

Came across this letter from you that I had meant to answer--the only two
Gonotopus that are common in collections here in Florida are the most common
G. bovinni or 'giraffe knee', and a larger all-green un-named (?) species or
maybe a var. of the former.   Have no information as to if the other sps
tend to be weedy, but somehow feel that they are not.  The varigated G.
bovinii is weedy as hell, grows everywhere once it escapes your collection,
the all-green seems to be less so.   I believe I may have seen G. angustus
and G. marattioides in collections around here, but NOT commonly.   Five
species are listed in TGOA--- G. bovinni, G. angustus,
G. petiolulatus, G. clavatus, and G. marattioides.
They are listed from South-east Africa---Kenya, Malawai, Mozambique, S.
Africa (Natal and Transvaal), Tanzania (incl. Pemba, Zanzibar), Zaire,
Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
Hope that this information helps.

Cheers,

Julius

>Hi Everybody,
are all varieties of Gonatopus prone to get weedy?
Gonatopus are endemic to southern eastcost of  Africa. I live in Durban but
have never really come across them.
It is maybe further up north.
Regards
Peter