Re: Xanthosoma lindenii

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Xanthosoma lindenii
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:46:03 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Plantsman <plantsman@prodigy.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Monday, July 10, 2000 11:40 PM
Subject: Xanthosoma lindenii

Dear David,

It grows in nature as an understory plant in tropical jungle, so IDEAL
conditions might be air as close to 100% humidity as possible (mist), keep
soil well-drained but moist, temps in the high 80`s, highish (low 80`s) temp
at night also, and bright light/no sun!   Circ. of air with a fan would be
good also.   I heard stories of a grower using a contraption of a mist/wall
of circ. water that cooled and humidified his g/house that grew these to a
giant size, he amazed people when he exibited them at the Aroid show in
Miami (before my time!).

Good luck.

<I picked one of these up in a 3 gallon size container at my
neighborhood K-Mart of all places and it was a really large
robust plant and was marked as "Tropical Foliage".   It must have
at least a half-dozen individual shoots with very nice healthy
leaves.   I was just about in shock when I saw it sitting there
(they had two of them).   My first question is if anyone has any
cultural hints for this attractive plant here in northeast TN
where it's been in the 90's F for awhile.   The second one is
when I receive this list, it appears that conversations have
taken place between people on the list and even get to see
picture attachments.   I see the note where the letter has an
attachment but no way to see it.   Maybe I'm missing out on
something in the way that this works.

David Sizemore