Re: Amorphophallus bulbifer stories

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus bulbifer stories
  • From: Walter Greenwood <walterg@nauticom.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:29:50 -0500 (CDT)

Jody & Albert,

My A's. bulbifer are also following their own schedule.  The 4 tubers I brought
outside early this spring flowered about 2 weeks ago, and the flowers are now
wilted.  No sign yet of leaves.  The 2 same sized tubers I left inside in a
sunroom
are still doing nothing.  The bulbils I harvested last year and potted up
at the
same time as the outside 4 tubers have now all produced vigorous new
growth.  My A.
paeoniifloius, potted up and outside in the sunshine since early spring, are
producing roots but no top growth yet.  My bulbifers, incidentally, came from
Wilbert's distribution of seeds (Thanks Wilbert!) about 4 or 5 years ago in
which
they were initially identified as "A. variabilis", until they all started
coming up
pink.  This is their first year for flowers, with tubers about 6" to 6.5" in
diameter.  The flowers are things of great beauty, and not too putrid.

Walter G. in Pittsburgh, PA