Re: Amorphophallus bulbifer stories

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus bulbifer stories
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:05:00 -0500 (CDT)

I thought that the "sweet smelling" Amorphophallus bulbifers are really A.
muelleri. Seems like this has been mentioned before. The two species are very
similar and muelleri has often been distributed as bulbifer.

Is this right? I just changed names on some plants here at Selby from Amorph.
bulbifer to muelleri based on the smell. They flowered last month.

Lord P tell me I have not made a big mistake!

Donna Atwood

<< My bulbifers, incidentally, came from
 Wilbert's distribution of seeds (Thanks Wilbert!) about 4 or 5 years ago in
 which
 they were initially identified as "A. variabilis", until they all started
 coming up
 pink.  This is their first year for flowers, with tubers about 6" to 6.5" in
 diameter.  The flowers are things of great beauty, and not too putrid.

 Walter G. in Pittsburgh, PA >>