Re: Xanthosoma lindenii

ok, so we all know now that Xanthosoma lindenii is now known as Caladium
lindenii. Is the clone 'Magnifica' what we are seeing in cultivation 90% of
the time?

What a lot of people don't realize is that this species has an all green form
(no white veins). I have heard that the plain green form is encountered more
frequently in the wild than the white-veined form, but because the variegated
clone is more horticulturally desirable the green form is not known in
cultivation. Does anyone have this green form?

I've had the same Caladium lindenii plant for over 15 years now, and
sometimes it almost dies on me (mostly because I let it get too dold in
winter) but I manage to bring it back to life with a little extra care. Mike
Grayum came by my house once and saw it by my front door at one point when it
looked pretty good. Mike had collected this species in Colombia and seemed
amused to see it displayed as a decorative dooryard plant. I can't say it is
the most vigorous thing, but I am not an expert grower and it has survived
some major neglect at my hands.

Donna Atwood