Re: Caladium bulbs shrinking ?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Caladium bulbs shrinking ?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:28:04 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 8:52 PM

Dear All,

I do not think that ALL commercial Caladium tubers from the Sebring area are
infected with this virus---I purchased some this year, among them are a new
variety 'Florida Sweetheart', it looks like a hybrid with C. bicolor and C.
schomburgkii parentage, a BRIGHT deep pink with a green border.   Out of
this world!!!  I also got a few of the older type cultivars, and all have
come up to be magnificent plants, and I warrant that they will have doubled
(at least!) in both tuber size and quantity by the end of this growing
No doubt that there is the virus in SOME collections and cultivars, but
certainly not all!

>Dear Tsuh Yang Chen:

Most of the commercial Caladium bulbs are produced in and around Sebring
, Florida & They are all infected with Dasheen Mossaic Virus. They are
all propagated from infected stock plants. This virus severely retards
the vigor of the infected plants and there is no way for these plants to
fully express their full potential. If the Grower used clean stock...of
which none exists at this time, they would still have a problem because
of all the innoculum from the wild or cultivated plants in their
neighborhood which would quickly be spread by sucking insect such as
leaf hoppers, aphids and white fly. There is no cure, So the chances of
getting clean Caladium bulbs from commercial sources is nill. The one
exception might be the Caladium rubicundra which is not a commercial
variety and is produced in a Tisssue Culture lab. If you wish you could
reconstitute the commercial varieties by producing them through seed
since the virus is not transmitted from mother plant to embryo. The
vigor would be tremendous. For more info you might check out work done
in the mid 1970's by Plant Pathologist (virologist) Dr. Zettler at the
University of Florida. PS. Dasheen Mossaic Virus can affect other Aroids
so alway sterilize your cutting tools between plants.<<