Re: Caladiums w/ virus?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Caladiums w/ virus?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:49:51 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Thursday, July 13, 2000 11:04 PM

Dear Paul,

I too have read that tissue culture can eliminate the virus from a plant, it
can not or does not transmit itself through this method, which is a great
thing.
I believe it was in some publication on Taro cultivation, as this virus is a
pest in Taro (Colocasia).

Cheers,

Julius

>Howdy All,

I remember reading somewhere that virus cannot penetrate within the first
12 (or some such) layers of cells around the meristematic growth point,
therefore if tissue sulture is achieved on the meristematic growth it
should be virus free.....

Can't remember where I read it.

Paul Tyerman
(Canberra, Australia)