Re: Caladium bulbs shrinking ?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Caladium bulbs shrinking ?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:50:49 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mitsukiwi@aol.com <Mitsukiwi@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Friday, July 14, 2000 12:06 AM

In a message dated 7/13/00 11:02:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Piabinha@aol.com writes:

Dear Nancy,

Sounds like you provide the perfect conditions for these wonderful plants!
THIS is what I`m trying to say on this list, these are hardy, close to the
original plants in nature, and WILL do well when planted where they have
enough time in the ground!   Look out for root knot nematodes, these can be
a serious pest if they occur in your soil.

In Trinidad, W.I., they are a WEED in vegetable fields, are sprayed with
every herbicide you can imagine, yet exist, and do it WELL!  And I`m talking
about C. picturatum, which is rare as hen`s teeth in cultivation, and with
which I struggle to keep it looking good here in the U.S.!!   C. bicolor is
also a WEED on certain mountain road sides!    I`m told that C. b.
rubicundrum covers the steep bank of a road side in a certain area of E.

Relax, give them enough light and growing time, and enjoy these wonderful
tuberous plants!

>>FWIW...Mine are planted in the ground here in southwest Florida year round
and have never been never dug up.  They just keep getting bigger and better.
Haven't checked the bulb size though.  :)