Re: Caladium bulbs shrinking ?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Caladium bulbs shrinking ?
  • From: Al Wootten <awootten@NRAO.EDU>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:52:03 -0500 (CDT)

I obtained my caladiums through Dick Mansell a few years ago.  I grow them
in largish pots buried in the ground, to try to keep the temperature stable.
I bring the pots in in the fall when the leaves begin to droop and let them
die back in the back of my orchid closet.  So far, I don't see any shrinking
in them.  I never take them out of their pots, so I don't know the size of
the bulbs.  A second group, also from Dick, got the same treatment except
that their pots were never buried in the ground and I ran out of potting soil
while potting them, so they have a lot of Virginia red dirt in the pots rather
than potting soil enriched with manure.  They are doing much less well, though
they are more recent.  I decided that I needed to improve my culture, so I
have buried the pots with a manure top dressing this year.  We'll see.

Al
|Al Wootten, Slacktide, Sturgeon Creek at the Rappahannock|
|Astronomer (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)           |
|genealogy homepage  http://members.tripod.com/~astral    |
|Deltaville, Virginia              (804)776-6369          |