Re: alocasia

Hi Christophe

Julius' descriptions of the differences between Alocasia and Colocasia is
great, but I can add another couple of differences concerning position of
inflorescences and fruits.

Colocasia produces inflorescences in a fan running away from the petiole
from which the infl. are being produced (i.e. the back of the spate faces
the petiole from which it was produced,mand, generally, produces several
infl. per leaf. Alocasia produces inflorescences running parallel to the
leaf and generally only one or two per leaf.

In fruit Alocasia produces rather large berries carried erect, and that
ripen orange-red (like Arisaema, Arum and most Amorphophallus), and each
contain one to three (rarely more) large, round seed. The fruits are
odourless. Colocasia fruits are carried on a nodding stalk, are small,
yellow-brown, fruitily scented, and contain many, small, ellipsoid seeds.

Peter C. Boyce
Willow Wren Wharf
Hayes Road, Southall
Middlesex   UB2 5HB