Re: Anthurium/Philo light and temps

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium/Philo light and temps
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:03:18 -0500 (CDT)

Title: RE: Anthurium/Philo light and temps

Dear Adam,

Don`t know if anyone else caught it, but there was an excellent program on PTV a few months ago on S. American forests that showed a beautiful P. goeldii growing and fruiting high in relativly open forest canopy, is LONG roots reaching down to the forest floor.  I`d GUESS that it did receive a good bit of 'full sun' and also lots of shade from the openings between the leafy ends of the branches.  Of special interest to me was the footage of spider monkeys feeding on the ripe fruit, these and I`d GUESS species of the larger (18" wingspan) fruit bats, marsupials, other fruit eating-mammals and birds would probably be the seed dispersal agents.

Joep Moonen, our host, (Emerald Jungle Village) showed us this species in the wild, together with huge specimens of the related species Philo. solimoesense, most plants (they were rare!) were growing high in the partially shaded canopy, 'tucked' into a crotch of a branch ot the broken-off branch scar, long groups of roots trailing downwards to root in the forest floor, but a very few specimens were shown or reported to us by Joep as growing in nature on the actual ground, Joep said that he thought that these were artifacts of tree felling, man induced OR natural from windfalls.   Joep`s BIG specimens grew well initally rooted in large pots made from old outboard engine covers ( ! ) and had grown up the posts of one of his roof supports in full sun, where they were in full bloom and fruit, I sampled the ripe fruits (sweet, lots of fruit flavor) and we brought back seed which is being grown by Denis is Miami.   Joep has grown a hybrid (P. 'marijke' = P. goeldiiX P. solimoesense) of these two species produced by accidental NATURAL (scrab beetle) pollenation at his home, he THOUGHT that he was growing pure P. goeldii till the first few leaves were produced, when the 'paternity' of P. solimoesnse became obvious!   He knows of one of these hybrids in the wild also.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Julius

-----