Re: Anthurium/Philo light and temps

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium/Philo light and temps
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 23:47:43 -0500 (CDT)

Julius:

Good info.

I have one of the P. Goeldii out in the nursery in about 73% shade doing
very well... it even made seed last month! Very fruity smelling
infructescenc. I don't know what its lower temperature limit is but
I've  heard grumblings that it does not tolerate cooler weather. Someone
else will have to confirm this though as my greenhouse does not go below
50 Deg. F.

Those solimoesense seedlings we moved to the highest light area of the
nursery with the most breeze available otherwise the erwinia blight gets
the best of it...

Julius Boos wrote:

>      Dear Adam,
>
>      Don`t know if anyone else caught it, but there was an
>      excellent program on PTV a few months ago on S. American
>      forests that showed a beautiful P. goeldii growing and
>      fruiting high in relativly open forest canopy, is LONG roots
>      reaching down to the forest floor.  I`d GUESS that it did
>      receive a good bit of 'full sun' and also lots of shade from
>      the openings between the leafy ends of the branches.  Of
>      special interest to me was the footage of spider monkeys
>      feeding on the ripe fruit, these and I`d GUESS species of
>      the larger (18" wingspan) fruit bats, marsupials, other
>      fruit eating-mammals and birds would probably be the seed
>      dispersal agents.
>
>      Joep Moonen, our host, (Emerald Jungle Village) showed us
>      this species in the wild, together with huge specimens of
>      the related species Philo. solimoesense, most plants (they
>      were rare!) were growing high in the partially shaded
>      canopy, 'tucked' into a crotch of a branch ot the broken-off
>      branch scar, long groups of roots trailing downwards to root
>      in the forest floor, but a very few specimens were shown or
>      reported to us by Joep as growing in nature on the actual
>      ground, Joep said that he thought that these were artifacts
>      of tree felling, man induced OR natural from windfalls.
>      Joep`s BIG specimens grew well initally rooted in large pots
>      made from old outboard engine covers ( ! ) and had grown up
>      the posts of one of his roof supports in full sun, where
>      they were in full bloom and fruit, I sampled the ripe fruits
>      (sweet, lots of fruit flavor) and we brought back seed which
>      is being grown by Denis is Miami.   Joep has grown a hybrid
>      (P. 'marijke' = P. goeldiiX P. solimoesense) of these two
>      species produced by accidental NATURAL (scrab beetle)
>      pollenation at his home, he THOUGHT that he was growing pure
>      P. goeldii till the first few leaves were produced, when the
>      'paternity' of P. solimoesnse became obvious!   He knows of
>      one of these hybrids in the wild also.
>
>      Hope this helps.
>
>      Sincerely,
>
>      Julius
>
>      -----

 Typical Philly. I still have some available for the Auction Sale this
year in 6" pots.

Anthurium Spectabile does just fine under 80% shade although I'm not
sure what its upper light limit is. Ditto on the Anth. veitchii as far
as light, however it does like to be kept cooler in the Summertime. I
suspect it's a cloud forest baby not used to the tropics at sea level.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens Inc.
Homestead Florida