Re: Info on Epipremnum spp.

  • Subject: Re: Info on Epipremnum spp.
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein <ecuador@midsouth.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:25:55 -0500 (CDT)

I hate to be a pain but who said there was ever anything 'wrong' with doing the
practical over what you consider the 'right way, other than you and other
botanists who feel that your way is the only correct way. Perhaps in botanics,
that is to be accepted. That does not mean that the rest of the world has to
live in your world. Just perhaps, an element of practicality would do botanics a
great step forward into meeting the big world of the general population, instead
of botanists expecting the big world of the general population coming to meet
them. In the practical sense, the odds of pothos becoming Epipremnum, or calla
becoming Zantedeschia, etc., are minuscule. If you desire to continue to beat
your heads against a non moving stone wall, you will get nowhere, just has
happened in the past. Pothos is pothos, and calla is calla and by all odds, will
continue to be known just as is for some time to come, like for generations to
come. To see the reverse and stability to such common names, botanists are
forever changing commonly accepted botanically correct names, at least in form,
to something else leaving even greater confusion to the masses. Just perhaps,
botanics are not necessarily meant for the masses. They certainly serve their
purpose in an effort to create clarity from confusion, but even in botanics
there is great confusion, so just for now, maybe it might be wise to just
consider common names as such and botanical names as such and move forward the
best we can in such duality rather than trying to force a 'right' way to call
some plant. We tried that with metric and so far, it has abysmally failed in the
United States. Now some of you may consider us as the lower end of the human
ladder, but just perhaps, we are willing to stand up for what we find practical
and useful to us. You may prefer otherwise, but that does not make you 'right'
and us 'wrong.' It just means we disagree. Could we not just agree to disagree?
New concept here for those so stuck in their perversion of a 'right' and a
'wrong' way, CHOICE.

Betsy