Re: Info on Epipremnum spp.

  • Subject: Re: Info on Epipremnum spp.
  • From: GeoffAroid@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 09:35:58 -0500 (CDT)

thanks for the info on Plantscape and for the very clear and amusing defence
of botanical taxonomists. In my experience the general public are not that up
on common names for aroids anyway and will accept pretty much anything the
growers present them with. If the growers could be pursuaded to change I dont
think the public would either notice or get very agitated, especially if
synonyms were given in plant catalogues etc. It is ridiculous when really
ancient names are continually dredged up when a much more suitable and widely
used name is available. Arum cornutum is probably the best (or worst....)
example, I still see that regularly labelled as such in markets.

Best wishes,
Geoffrey Kibby