Shade plants

  • Subject: Shade plants
  • From: Floral Artistry <jjingram@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 22:42:21 -0500 (CDT)

I have a client that needs some more "Oomph!" The palms and bamboos are
doing well in the back yard but I need some nice "fillers". The area gets
good morning sun (till about 11-12) and than the area is in what I call
"excessively filtered" sun. The soil is pretty crappy. It is basically all
decomposed granite with some composed leaf litter (usually the gardener
cleans it up). I will be amending the soil over the next few years to bring
up the condition of the soil.
Also, it does not drain very well and stays pretty moist overall but not
excessively so.
Any suggestions? I planted one Alocasia (off the top of my head I can't
remember what it was) but it did not reemerge this year as yet.
I do have one Anthurium species that really flourishes on the other side of
the house under the opposite light conditions (i.e. morning shade, afternoon
filtered shade/somewhat bright).
Anyone suggestions? I am open to anything. I prefer small (under 3' for
now), colorful, and easy care.
Oh, and P.S. I'm in the greater Los Angeles area so my temperatures rarely
drop below 40F in the winter and this area (the client's house) doesn't get
too hot in the summer either.

John Ingram
1253 N. Havenhurst Dr. #138
West Hollywood, CA 90046