RE: why scientists don't just give up the names battle

  • Subject: RE: why scientists don't just give up the names battle
  • From: "Cooper, Susan L." <SLCooper@scj.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:10:02 -0500 (CDT)

Good point, Jim. Your note about permanency reminded me about a comment
someone made about the writer Stephen King:  something to the effect that
his books are popular now, but in 20-30 years (or less) they will be
difficult to read due to the fact that he uses so many brand names.  I just
read a book of his where he kept mentioning a certain type of toy by name,
and for half the book I had no idea of what he was talking about (the wooden
paddle with a rubber band thing attached, with a rubber ball on the end).

I'm only a hobbyist (and I wouldn't call my thumb green), and I still call
Zantedeschia calla lilies sometimes, but when people mention voodoo lilies I
have no idea what they are talking about!
Susan Cooper