Re: Re: In-ground Planting Mix

  • Subject: Re: Re: In-ground Planting Mix
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:22:56 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: mburack@mindspring.com <mburack@mindspring.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Monday, July 16, 2001 10:17 PM

Not only Dewey---we had an extensive LONG discussion quite a while back on
this L concerning the use of coir in ALL its forms, and the concensus of
opinions was that it did not last, went 'bad' very quickly and caused lots
of problems.   Not many gave any reasons why it should be used anymore!
Julius

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> Dump the coir....  It will decompose within a year!!!!!
Dewey

>I've dug out a modest area inside my greenhouse for an in-ground
>planting area.  After placing a 4 - 5" [10-12 cm] layer of drain rock in
>the bottom of this pit, I'll be topping up with another 18 - 20" [45-50 cm]
>worth of planting mix; as the native soil here in the San Francisco area
>is essentially clay.
>
>My intent is to grow a mixed collection of tropicals in this bed.
>>From Araceae: Amorphophallus, Anchomanes, Anthurium, Alocasia, Dieff.,
>Philo's, etc. etc.; some Heliconia, various Zingiberaceae, Bromeliads,
Palms,
>Cycads... the usual suspects!
>
>Does anybody out there have any experience/ words of advice concerning
>conservatory (in-ground) soil mixes or specific materials to either use or
>avoid?
>I'm considering a mix comprised of locally available components which I'm
>blending at the approximate ratio of
>- 40% coir (in lieu of peat moss)
>- 30% red lava gravel (graded 1/4" size [6.5 mm], clean)
>- 20 % fir bark (also graded 1/4", clean)
>- 10% horticultural sand
>
>My sample of the above looks great-  but I'm really concerned what it'll
turn
>into 5 years from now.  Especially since my preference is to not dig out
the
>entire bed and replace the contents much before 2010, if at all possible.
>
>What do the under-glass botanical gardens do?
>Anything special used for the beds inside MOBOT's Climatron for example?
>
>Thanks,
> -Dan

                          Your source for Tropical Araceae
                  http://members.macconnect.com/users/p/plantnut/