Lime and pine nuggets

  • Subject: Lime and pine nuggets
  • From: "brian williams" <pugturd50@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:52:22 -0500 (CDT)

OK I would like to know in my Alocasia mix would it be wise to add lime dust
to the mix of perlite and powdered sphagnum? So do the aroids like the acid
of the soil or does it matter. I know I planted a Philo willimsii in a mix
with pine nuggets and it seemed to kill it. I figured from the acid being to
high. The ones potted in a different mix are still a live. But the ones that
had the pine nuggets did not send new roots into the soil and finally turned
a bright yellow before dyeing. This also happened to another philo in only
12 day from being repotted. I have sense kept pine nuggets out of my philo
mix. My amorphs seem to like pine nuggets thought. But to me pine nuggets
and lime it seems most plants would only like one or the other do aroids
like both? Like azaleas they only like acid soil and will not live with lime
in the soil.

So will lime kill a aroid?

Will the acid soil kill a aroid? If so which ones? I