RE: Missing Raphides

  • Subject: RE: Missing Raphides
  • From: "Don Burns"<donburns@macconnect.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:42:45 -0500 (CDT)

>I would guess that he would have had to dry his sample before running any
>electron microscope picture. I just thought that seeing raphides under any

>type of microscope would be a simple matter. Now, my sample came from a
>stem. Maybe they only exist in leaf tissue?

My experience with the raphides has been courtesy of the larger Philodendrons.
One in particular is P. selloum which is a giant we use frequently in the landscape
in these parts. When trimming these things I wear a long sleeve shirt and gloves.
I have found that the raphides are in both the petioles and leaves, and if the
subsequent itching is of any value in assessing their presence and concentration
they are present in both stuctures in equal quantities!

The plant juices that I have come in contact with are from freshly cut material,
not dried. This might suggest to you that drying your material is destroying
the raphides?? Admittedly I have not tried exposing my self to dried material.

The little critters to not require a fresh skin abrasion to enter. I can vouch
for that! They enter either through the pores or directly through the epidermis,
pore or no pore.

Don Burns
Ft Lauderdale