Son of Soil Mix

  • Subject: Son of Soil Mix
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:24:31 -0500 (CDT)

By way of follow-up here's the recipe for what I am finally now using
as my "conservatory mix".  Again, my thanks to all for contributing to
this thread.  I'll make it a point to respond to the list periodically as to
how my particular blend of herbs & spices fares, both in-ground and
as a potting mix.  As Denis mentioned, this is indeed a topic which
bears further discussion.
---

4 cu.yd. peat moss
3 cu.yd. red lava 5/16" minus (a blend of lava pebbles & lava sand)
2 cu.yd. hort. pumice
1 cu.yd. fir bark
[where 1 cu.yd. = 27 cu.ft. = 7.6 hectoliters]

per cubic yard:
- 1.0 lbs. iron sulfate
- 1.5 lbs. nitroform
- 2.0 lbs. single superphosphate
- 0.5 lbs. potassium nitrte
- 1.5 lbs. dolomite lime #10
[where 1.0 lb. = 454 grams]

---
notes:
1) Since the individual components add up to 10 cu.yd's it's rather simple
to consider this recipe in terms of percentages for mixing smaller amounts.

2) This mix is intentionally 50% "solids" (sand & pebbles) not only for
reasons of porosity and drainage, but also to somewhat mitigate the settling
and shrinkage which occurs over time as the organics decompose.

3) The addition of dolomitic lime buffers the pH of this particular blend up
to 6.0 and offers the other benefits which Denis described so well in his post
yesterday (see  http://www.hort.net/lists/aroid-l/jul01/msg00178.html  ).

4) The other chemicals can be replaced by your favorite fertilizer(s) and added at
any time.  It was just convenient for me to pre enrich this mix prior to placement
into my greenhouse.  Synthetics were also chosen to avoid the off-gassing which
manures are prone to do. It's bad enough having to deal with aroid fragrances!

Regards from the perpetually fogged-in San Francisco bay area, where
sunshine is even more elusive than Ted's missing raphides.

 -Dan Levin