Amorphophallus titanum dormancy

  • Subject: Amorphophallus titanum dormancy
  • From: Riley2362@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:56:58 -0500 (CDT)

In July 2000, I obtained an A. titanum seedling from Selby, the seed of which
had been sown in 1999.  It grew well all last summer on a NYC fire escape and
continued growing throughout the winter indoors.  It had not changed
appearance much so I assumed it might continue growing throughout this summer
so I repotted it.  I was surprised not to find many roots, but a nice firm
roundish tuber about 4" wide and 3" high.  I went ahead and repotted it, but
now, about a month later the leaf is yellowed flopping over, as if it is
going dormant.  I think all of this is quite normal and it is good that it
didn't go dormant for the first 2 full years and that's why it had no roots
left, so it should go completely dormant, lest it deplete it's nice tuber.
Correct?  Now how to store the tuber; dry and deep in the pot, as I do my
other Amorphophallus species or bring it to the surface and keep an eye on it
with a little water once in a while?  Cool storage or warm - any suggestions
would be appreciated.  Do I sound like a nervous father?
Thanks - Michael Riley