RE: Warning!!!!!

  • Subject: RE: Warning!!!!!
  • From: Phil Bunch <pbunch@cts.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 01:16:52 -0500 (CDT)

Hear, hear. The illegal trade in wildlife (both flora and fauna) is a very
large problem. It must be controlled. If a person knowingly breaks the law
and profits by their acts they should not complain when apprehended. If
anyone feels that their country should not be a party to the CITES treaty
that is ok and they should take political action to change their
participation. Legally and morally I see little difference between
smuggling plants and smuggling drugs.

I would add that Mr. Portillo stands accused and not convicted if the
information at hand is correct. He should be considered innocent until
proven guilty. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service still has to prove their
case.

Phil Bunch

On Wednesday, July 25, 2001 22:36, newton [SMTP:newton@coiinc.com] wrote:
> If some of this story is true, what Pepe Portillo did was wrong, illegal
and
> he knew it. I have very little sympathy for Pepe.  Laws, whether as
> individuals we feel are just or unjust, modify our behavior, which is
judged
> to be in the local or international societies best interest at the time.
If,
> in fact, we feel the law is unjust or plainly wrong, there exists ways to
go
> about changing them with some effort. Sometimes we win, sometimes not.
When
> we don't win, perhaps we are not of the majority opinion or hold a
> professional understanding of the nature of the problem that brought
about
> the law.
>
> Locally, we have several protected grasses, two of which are known to be
the
> only locations in several states. Do I want them protected? You bet. Do I
> want some "damned nice fellow" to dig them up and sell them? Hell no. I
can
> only imagine the ignorance of a person who would do so without regard.
>
> In countries where plants are endangered, and misguided laws for their
> protection are inadvertently guaranteeing their ultimate destruction due
> habitat changes, concerned people should use the international channels
> influence a change. If failing to do this, then protest, be passionate,
but
> don't steal and rob future local generations of the opportunity to enjoy
the
> flora.
>
> I will disagree with anyone who sides with this type of activity. As for
> Dave, I am glad there are Dave Martins who help stop the trafficking of
> illegally gotten plants. He is OBVOIUSLY passionate about HIS cause and
so
> are those who help in the process.
>
> For each of you reading this who have knowingly purchased or traded for
an
> illegally gotten plant, what's up with that? You make me real proud. I
hope
> every time you look at it (them) you think about the selfishness of your
> actions.
>
> And don't get me started on the comment "THESE 4 CYCADS ARE NOT HURTING
> ANYTHING". I see little if any objective argument of substance in
anything
> written below to defend Pepe. He got caught. Others do not. There are
many
> more than 4 cycads floating over our borders and disappearing from native
> soils to the greedy hands of private and public collections.
>
> I would appreciate some dialog on this topic to see if I am, in fact, of
the
> minority opinion in which case we should all be allowed to plunder other
> countries national treasures whether plants or historical icons, works of
> art and so on. Why hell, let's just walk into the MOBOT and take whatever
we
> want. What's the issue folks?
>
> Tim McNinch
> Happy with what I have and staying out of jail while enjoying it.

PEPE
> ABOUT THE COLOMBIAN CYCADS AND PEPE TOLD HIM THAT HE COULD TRADE PLANTS
WITH
> COLOMBIAN DEALERS BUT COULD ONLY GET THEM FOR EXPORT BY CHANGING THE
NAMES
> FOR A ECUADOR CITES. MARTIN WAS WEARING A RECORDING DEVICE AND THE TAPES
> TURNED OVER TO THE US PLANT AND WILDLIFE AUTHORITIES. MARTIN ALSO WEARING
> WIRE GOT TAPES OF 2 OTHER CYCAD DEALERS ADMITTING TO GETTING CYCADS INTO
THE
> US FROM SO. AFRICA AND FROM AUSTRALIA. AN AMERICAN DEALER WAS ALSO CAUGHT
IN
> THIS MESS BY BUYING SOME OF THESE PLANTS.
>
> THE PLANT POLICE , AS THEY ARE NOW CALLED, WAITED AND SET UP A TRAP FOR
PEPE
> AND SOME OF THE OTHERS AT THE SANTA BARBARA SHOW WHERE PEPE WAS ARRESTED
AND
> WARRANTS EXECUTED FOR THE OTHER 3. THIS LEFT PEPE'S WIFE INGRID WITH
> $15,000 WORTH OF LEGALLY IMPORTED PLANTS TO SET UP FOR THE SHOW AND TO
SELL
> OVER THE SHOW WEEKEND AND SHE DOES NOT EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH.
>
> GRANTED, WHAT PEPE AND THE OTHERS DID WAS WRONG BUT THROWING THEM  IN
> FEDERAL PRISON WAS CERTAINLY OVER RE-ACTING. SO EVEN IF THIS TURNS OUT TO
> INVOLVE AS MANY AS 10-15 CYCADS, SO WHAT. THIS IS NOT A MAJOR COCAINE
BUST.
> THIS IS NOTHING WHERE 10 CYCADS LOOSE ON THE STREETS OF CALIFORNIA ARE
GOING
> TO CORRUPT THE LIVES OF OUR KIDS.
>
> SO THIS IS WRONG BUT IT IS OF NOT MAJOR IMPORTANCE AND THEY COULD BE
FINED
> AND THAT WOULD BE IT. THE GOVERNMENTS CASE REVOLVES AROUND THE ILLEGAL
> RECORDINGS BY A GOVERNMENT SNITCH, HIMSELF AN INDICTED CRIMINAL. THE
> GOVERNMENT AS THE VERY BEST HAS A WEAK CASE AND POSSIBLY WILL NOT EVEN
BRING
> IT TO TRIAL. IT IS JUST A CASE OF BULLYING BY THE PLANT POLICE`. IN
ADDITION
> THE DAVE MARTIN HAS BE WEARING THIS WIRE TO SHOWS OF ORCHIDS, AROIDS AND
> BANZAIS, TRYING TO GET SOME INCRIMINATING EVIDENCE FOR THE PLANT POLICE.
>
> THIS IS NO MORE THAN A PLANT POLICE "STING". THEY HAVE HAD THIS GUY
MARTIN