Regarding Pepe

I received the following from a friend that is deeply involved with
conservation and saving plants...  Actually, this individual is in the
process of writing a book...  They did not want to be identified for
obvious reasons...  But, I thought the comments were too good to let lie....

> I think Jay Vannini, Ed Goncalves and Jim Langhammer and others hashed
>over this one (Conservation) pretty well a few weeks ago.   The Gentleman
>is obviously a naive idealist.  His idealism is a crucial element in
>getting something done about saving plants but also an element in the
>subversion of a 'right way' to go about it.  Uninformed, naivety is so
>easily satisfied and so easily lead astray. Sadly, he's sitting on his
>hands thinking that all the mechanisms for preservation are in place. He
>is wrong.  He thinks this is about saving plants when, as it is structured
>now, it is more a matter of egos and control.  A small way of waging world
>war.   People will make money under the table on BOTH side.  people will
>go to jail, bureaucracy will proliferate and the plants will be no further
>ahead. They will actually have suffered as time passes without effective
>measures in place.  Odds are, those cycads will probably end up in the
>hands of a collector in the US, not back in EC where they legally belong,
>much less Colombia where they originated.  This is a fact.  It happens all
>the time at Inspection Stations. People have been working for years to try
>and bring some sanity into this mess, without success.  It seems to get
>ever worse. The notion of the good guys and the bad guys is pretty dumb.
> There are both on both sides.
>These are my feeling,

                          Your source for Tropical Araceae