Re: Query about sooty mold spots on Philodendrons

  • Subject: Re: Query about sooty mold spots on Philodendrons
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:54:41 -0500 (CDT)

Some Philodendrons (P. pinnatifidum and others) have pores on the
backside of the leaves and on petioles that exude as you said sticky
stuff that usually ends up growing sooty mold. Looks just like the sooty
mold growth that you get with aphids and mealybugs which exude honeydew.
I guess it's not a desireable quality to grow sooty mold and appear to
have an insect problem when there isn't one. But if the plant is as
pretty as Santa Leopoldiana, you can wash the leaves off once in a while
and solve the problem temporarily. If you can't find insects or mites
with a hand lens, then there probably aren't any.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens
Homestead Florida