RE: A Different Perspective

  • Subject: RE: A Different Perspective
  • From: Phil Bunch <pbunch@cts.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:49:52 -0500 (CDT)

I personally support the CITES treaty and it's enforcement. I also work as
a consulting biologist to a utility company and manage the day-to-day
implementation of an endangered species/habitat conservation agreement with
both the state and federal government (U.S.). I deal with this problem
everyday and am constantly in between powerful interests. At times NO one
likes what I say or do as part of my responsibilities. This is may be why
my post appears to argue both sides of the issue. The realities of the
problem are indeed painted in shades of gray. Effective solutions are
rarely within the province of ideologues on either side.

I have a rather pessimistic view of our real capacity to stem the tide of
extirpation before we realize what we have lost. This is based on
personal/professional involvement with environmental issues in Colombia and
Mexico as much as my current job. Development is going to occur and with
it, much additional habitat will be lost. There is no clean solution to the
active interface between human needs/desires and habitat destruction. We
are a short-sighted species with a great capacity to invent and an
inability to see the long-term consequences of the implementation of our
creative ideas.

As a plant collector I also have struggled with the problem of our
responsibility for the conservation and preservation of endangered species
with commercial value. I am inalterably opposed to practices that may
adversely effect the survival of species with very limited distributions in
habitat. Such practices almost always involve the removal of material other
than seeds, spores or cuttings. In some very rare species only the removal
of tissue for in vitro propagation is acceptable. In some cases, seeds may
be collected without affecting the long-term viability of populations. I
think that collectors may be able to provide an "ark" for some species
subject to habitat destruction but this is not a simple proposition. I
would support the "rescue" of plants from areas where development activity
will adversely affect their chance of survival if there were an effective
way to distinguish between plants collected in such situations and those
collected for purely commercial purposes. This is why the CITES treaty is
important. How can we distinguish between responsibly collected material
and material that should be left in place once it is on the market?
Collectors in "rich" countries are an important driving force for the
market. We are part of the demand side. I think everyone needs to consider
the question: If I buy this plant, will it create more demand for more
habitat collected plants?

In regard to the people responsible for the enforcement of laws
implementing the CITES treaty, keep in mind that they are just people. Some
are ideologues, some are very rational in their approach, some are just
putting in eight hours a day. Recall that their job is to enforce the law
no matter what their intrinsic characteristics may be. They are often

IMHO trying to deal with such complex problems is hampered by concepts of
"right and wrong." There are only our actions and their subsequent effects.
A person with a gun may kill a few others, a person with an ideology may
kill millions. To be effective we must lay aside our personal points of
view and TRY to see the "realities."

Phil Bunch

On Friday, July 27, 2001 21:48, Betsy Feuerstein
[SMTP:ecuador@midsouth.rr.com] wrote:
> You know it is funny how what you say could mean either don't obtain that
> is being destroyed in situ or get it at all cost because it is going to
be gone
> in so few years. Think about that one and come to your own conclusions.
> just made an argument that could go both ways. Is there a right or wrong?
As a
> [...]
> > > that says "the law is the law."  But, being who I am I also realize
> > at
> > > one time "laws" were created to prevent me from drinking out of the
> > > water-fountains as those from a different race.  Laws also prevented
> > from
> > > voting, laws also prevented my grandparents from obtaining an
> > > like to think of myself as one who recognizes the need for rules and
> > order,
> > > but I am also a person who is not blind, my eyes are wide open.That
> > > this is what I have seen.
> > >
> > > The CITES agreement is haphazard at best.  Those of you who have
> > > stepped foot in a jungle nor visited a foreign country to witness for
> > > yourselves what is happening to not only the rainforest, but forests
> > even
> > > woodlands, are living in a dreamworld, if you think that the creators
> > > CITES know best.
> > >
> > > As Betsy mentioned, just listening to the chainsaws in the distance
> > > chilling.  Seeing huge numbers of barges floating down the Rajang
> > in
> > > Sarawak (Borneo) is mesmerizing, flying over Peninsular Malaysia and
> > looking
> > > at the thousands, upon thousands of newly planted acres of oil palm
> > groves is
> > > enough to bring a tear to your eye.  And if you really want to drop
> > your
> > > knees and weep, go through an area where the legal loggers (from
> > > countries who have paid HANDSOMELY) are working.  Notice how they
> > down a
> > > century old dipterocarp.  Notice how many epiphytes: orchids (CITES
> > appendix
> > > 1), aroids, ferns are stripped from the trees and are allowed to bake
> > the
> > > sun and ultimately die.  Then it dawns on you that once these
> > > trees are gone, the understory quickly vanishes because of lack of
> > > protection.  Once the understory vanishes, the fauna that depended on
> > > understory now vanishes.
> > >
> > > My point:  the CITES agreement does not really work.  Many of these
> > countries
> > > require hard cash to operate--and logging is a wonderful source.
> > are
> > > those of you who talk about working to change the laws--how noble.  I
> > have
> > > always hated this saying, but the older I get the more I truly
> > the
> > > meaning:  "Money Talks..." you know the rest.
> > >
> > > This CITES situation really needs to be addressed, but because there
> > so
> > > many different agendas at play, ultimately the flora and fauna will
> > > And there will be no plants or animals to save--even with the best
> > > intentions.  The jungles are disappearing at an alarming rate.  And
it is
> > not
> > > due to collectors. 85% of the state of Sarawak on the island of
Borneo is