  • Subject: CITES and EU
  • From: "Arno Clement" <al.clement@planet.nl>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:49:41 -0500 (CDT)

In a message dated Friday 27 Juli 2001 23:01,
"Neil Carroll" <zzamia@hargray.com>
Subject: Re: Warning!!!!! writes

As Aroiders we have no CITES to deal with.

This is not completely true, perhaps this is the case for the most of the
world but not for Europe. In the EU we have a different CITES. We have the
normal CITES Appendix 1, 2 and 3 but here the are called Annex A, B and C
and we have also Annex D. Annex D is not CITES but the level of import from
certain species is so high that they are monitored bij the EU.
When you are importing plants ,from outside the EU, which are standing in de
Annex D you have to notifice the Customs. When you fail to do this they can
confiscate the plants and give you a considerable fine.
The following Araceae are standing in the Annex D:
Arisaema dracontium
Arisaema erubescens
Arisaema galeatum
Arisaema jacquemontii