Miami & Fort Lauderdale visit

  • Subject: Miami & Fort Lauderdale visit
  • From: Lester Kallus <lkallus@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:44:57 -0500 (CDT)

I just returned from Miami & Fort Lauderdale where I visited nurseries &
growers and came home with enough material to fill another greenhouse.  For
those who have not traveled to that area, I feel I should share my
experiences to help you locate all the "must haves" not available from your
local Home Depot.

Dewey Fisk has what is undoubtedly the largest Amorphophallus collection
imaginable as well as so many other rare aroids that the visit becomes
truly overwhelming.  His knowledge matched his hospitality.  I'm glad to
say that he also can mail order material.  Several Amorphophallus were at
their top growth and so not packable in my two crates.  I do, however, look
forward to ordering tubers as soon as they begin to hibernate.

Steve and Marie Nock at the Ree Gardens had a magnificent collection of
aroids as well as other species.  I enjoyed exploring their nursery and
will always remember my first sampling of miracle fruit followed by eating
large portions of a key lime which really did end up tasting like candy.

The massive, nearly endless Palm Hammock Orchid Estates managed by Tim
Anderson helped me locate several "must haves" and is definitely worth a visit.

When you visit these establishments, bring your check book and a
camera.  You'll empty the first and fill the second.

Between these nurseries, some wonderful private gardens & wholesale
distributors, I filled two large crates with plants and now stare at my
garden delighted at the summer appearance but dreading finding homes for
the material in September.