Re: Amorphophallus konjac

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus konjac
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:43:47 -0500 (CDT)

At 10:38  31/07/01 -0500, you wrote:
>A couple of people here in central NC (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, zone
>7) tell me they've planted this out and are now fearful that it will
>become invasive because it produces so many offspring.  Anyone else had
>that experience?

Donna,

I must admit that I have wondered this a bit too.  Certainly once you have
it in a spot there is no way you could get rid of it all (at least if it
grows like it does in a pot).  I know that the offsets produced in one year
will quadruple in size and produce numerous offsets the following year (at
least in a pot).

Does anyone know if this multiplication applies in its ground growth as
well?  I planted out one (well we think it is one ...... bought as Amorph
abyssinicus but we figure most likely a konjac clone slightly different
from others I have) into my garden this season.  The main tuber has tripled
this year (and hopefully will tripple again next season and then flower)
but I didn't even attempt to find offsets.  I assume there were some, but
in th ground the chances of finding would be pretty small.

Hopefully someone out there has experiences they can share.  Sounds wierd
to be asking whether an Amorphophallus is invasive, but I certainly think a
worthwhile question to get answered.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Crocus, Cyrtanthus,
Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything else that
doesn't move!!!!!