Re: slime molds

>Basically, you get a piece of slime mold off a log, put it on one end of a
moist piece of paper towel in a bottle, and put a single grain of uncooked
non-instant rolled oats on the other end of the moist paper towel. The
slime mold will become mobile and "walk" to the other end of the paper
towel to "eat" the oats (actually, to consume the bacteria feeding on the
rotting oat grain-- oddly enough, instant oats will not work).

That is just SCAREY!!!!  I think it would make a good science fiction
movie!! <grin>.

What exactly IS a Slime mold?  I had thought it was something we get here
in mulch ocassionally.  What we have appears as what almost looks like a
dollop of that sprayed polystyrene house insulation.  It looks like it has
literally bubbled up out of the ground.  I had thought they were a type of
slime mould but I am wondering now whether they are.

I realise that this is not Aroid based, but I am rather intrigued now.  I
will leave it up to Moderator Steve as to whether he passes this mesage
through to the list or not.  I quite understand if it is felt to be too
off-topic and is instead deleted.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything
else that doesn't move!!!!!