interest?? in exchanging skunk cabbage seeds ( Lysichiton and Symplocarpus spp)

  • Subject: interest?? in exchanging skunk cabbage seeds ( Lysichiton and Symplocarpus spp)
  • From: "kalbmatt" <kalbmatt@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:30:14 -0500 (CDT)

I have a very nice, robust Symplocarpus foetidus var lattissimus that I obtained in Japan 5 years ago that has a distinctive waxy dark maroon/red spathe that has set seed for the past three years. This year's seed is maturing quite fast and if I can keep racoons from tearing off the fruiting body, should have fresh seed. The seedlings grow slowly but appears nearly 90% germinate.  I also have  fresh seed from Lysichiton americanum (from old native plant growing near my home in Portland Oregon) and camtschatcensis.  I am very interested in exchanging for seed from other species of skunk cabbages.  I understand there are  / may be  red spathed species from areas in the former USSR.
  Although not an interest for all on this list... I would like to get seed from several of the taller Asian  Maianthemum or non North American trillium that I know are out there but not readily available.  For those who have a woodland garden bent, I have some Trillium albidum, parviflora, and kurabayashii seeds that are fresh to exchange.  Also some fresh seed of Tr ovatum from the Siskiyou Mountains in southern Oregon that are very robust, distinctively leaved (large, very broad non-mottled leaves).
Please reply to my email kalbmatt@msn.com with a header with the word skunkcabbage included.  Norm Kalbfleisch, Portland Oregon Zone 8