Anthurium scents

  • Subject: Anthurium scents
  • From: GeoffAroid@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 21:59:24 -0500 (CDT)

Just thought I would report on a  nice little Anthurium I have in flower at
the moment. I picked it up in a florists in Amsterdam and it is labelled as a
hybrid called Pico Bello. It is obviously an A. amnicola hybrid, possibly
with A.amnioquiense and has deep purple spadices with small, pale
pinkish-lavender spathes. Having read in Deni Bown's book the description of
the discovery of amnicola and that it had an attractive scent of peppermint I
was intrigued to find that sitting on my windowsill on a warm sunny afternoon
this hybrid also has a lovely sweet smell of peppermint! Obviously it has a
large percentage of amnicola genes including the all important one for smell.
My next step is to try and self-pollinate it to get seedlings even closer to
the original amnicola type (my hunt for genuine amnicola has so far been in

Does anyone know if amnicola is indeed extinct in the wild or have further
populations been found? Do any other Anthurium species have this delightful
smell (I am not sure if the other probable parent - amnioquiense - has any
odour). Of course if anyone out there in aroid land has the real species and
ever gets berries/divisions please remember me (on my knees here

Regards to all,
Geoffrey Kibby
p.s. it it just me or has it been really quiet on here for the last few
weeks? Very few aroid postings.