Fw: USDA regulation (seed phytos)

  • Subject: Fw: USDA regulation (seed phytos)
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 01:04:57 -0500 (CDT)

Hi All....Here (below my SIG) is the post Joyce Fingerut made to
Alpine-L outlining the issues and providing the address for sending
letters concerning the APHIS phyto regulation for seeds that I
mentioned at the IAS breakfast meeting this  (now yesterday) morning.

What a FANTASTIC weekend!!!  Hope everyone arrived home safe and
sound.

Marge

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Planting Basics: Soil
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Joyce Fingerut <alpinegrdn@RICONNECT.COM>
>
> I have promised to offer an outline of points that can be raised
when
> petitioning the USDA-APHIS-PPQ for a change in the regulation that
> requires a point-of-origin phyto for seeds entering the US.
> I have had help in this from Tom Stuart and Carlo Balistieri.
>
> Here is what I propose:
>
> To begin with, the alphabet soup stands for:
> United States Department of Agriculture - Animal and Plant Health
> Inspection SERVICE- Plant
> Protection and Quarantine.  This arm of the government is charged
> with the protection of the nationıs agricultural and environmental
> health and welfare. They are a line of defense against imported
> diseases that could potentially infest our crops and our
surroundings
> and decimate industries, a worthy purpose by anyone's standards.
> There are problems, however, with how they propose to accomplish
their mission.

> We need to bring to their attention the fact that enforcement of
> regulations contained in 7CFR PART 319, specifically sections
319.37
> THROUGH 319.37-14,
> requiring a point-of-origin phytosanitary certificate for for seed
> entering the United States
> from other countries has unforeseen consequences.  We have been
told
> that we cannot ask
> for an exemption from this regulation to allow small packets of
seed to
> enter the US without a phytosanitary certificate and, consequently,
we must
> petition for a change in the regulation itself.
>
> One petition with several names will not be anywhere near as
> effective as several separate letters.  In this case, mass is
critical!
> We need to demonstrate that these regulations do, indeed,
> have a much broader impact than they imagined.  It will take a
great
> many letters to persuade them of this.  Contact your local garden
centers,
> favorite mail order nurseries and regional botanic gardens and
> encourage them to write as well.
>
> Email is not considered to be correspondence, nor are form letters
> taken seriously.  A simple, direct, one-page letter stating a few
> points, clearly and forcefully, will demonstrate your interest in
the
> matter.  Those of you who are heads of organizations or businesses
> and wish to write a longer petition may contact me privately.
>
> All letters should be addressed to:
> Michael Lidsky, APHIS-PPQ
> 4700 River Road, Unit 141
> Riverdale, MD 20737
>
> In our letter to the USDA-APHIS-PPQ, we (NARGS) are stating that:
>
> Enforcement of this regulation will have unintended and negative
> effects to many sectors of the horticultural community:
>
> -Seed houses will be severely damaged or forced out of business;
>
> -This is an unreasonable restriction on international trade,
counter to the
> WTO (World Trade Organization) Agreement on Sanitary and
Phytosanitary