Re: Monstera bloom and eating.

  • Subject: Re: Monstera bloom and eating.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:37:53 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 10:26 AM

In a message dated 7/30/2002 7:25:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ju-bo@msn.com writes:

My GUESS is that both Jason`s 'empty jar' method and the saran-wrap method may concentrate the pheromones ( ? ) released by ripening fruit at the spadix`s base, which may then cause all the fruit the whole length of the spadix to ripen together.   If not wrapped or placed in a jar, the fruit on the spadix may ripen only a few at a time as described by one of the other contributors, and this does not provide a lot of fruit ready to eat all at once.   I THINK we discussed the possible 'strategy' or the 'why' of this amount of fruit tissue being produced without seed a while ago, and how the plant may benifit from this. I believe my theory was that there used to be now-extinct big herbivores in Mexico/Cen. America that probably used to eat the whole ripe spadix, seed and all, or perhaps paleo-man did some selection for clones that demonstrated less or a seedless condition, much like was done with bananas.   We may never know!

Julius Boos

>>The saran wrap causes the entire
spadix to ripen at the same time (in about a couple/three of days, I keep a
close watch on it!) , thus providing a substantial amount of substance to
savor all at the same time.   Look out for the few large seeds concealed in
the soft, mushy flesh, they are about the size of a large pea, don`t bite
into one!

Huh.  My empty-jar method, with no saran wrap, also gave me a fruit all ripened at the same time.  I must have had a seedless clone -- possibly selected for that trait, as it was a commercially-produced fruit for the produce trade.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large
<<