Re: Fw: USDA regulation (seed phytos)

  • Subject: Re: Fw: USDA regulation (seed phytos)
  • From: "Leo A. Martin" <leo1010@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:36:22 -0500 (CDT)

> Can they obtain a "blanket" phyto for the entire seed
> batch or for all their available seeds, or must they
> obtain phyto for each individual shipment?

Every shipment must have a phytosanitary certificate enclosed. How that is issued is up to the originating country. So far the packages I have received from Australia and Germany have each had a certificate enclosed that was issued for my small shipment alone.

Silverhill Seeds in South Africa is regularly pooling shipments and sending to somebody in the US who repackages the individual orders and remails, which does not require a phytosanitary certificate.

This regulation is devastating to various international plant society seed banks.

Leo A. Martin
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Like cactus and succulents?
Central Arizona Cactus and Succulent Society