Re: [aroid-l] Variegated Amorphophallus

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Variegated Amorphophallus
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter@worldonline.nl
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:49:20 +0200

Dear Chanrit,

I was out on a holiday, so I am a bit late in replying. Viral variegation is
usually streaky whereas true cellular variegation is often a mosaic or
chequers pattern or any really regular pattern (lines, bands etc. at regular
intervals). It is not always easy to distinguish both but in your plants I
highly suspect the viral kind. Get rid of them soon or they will infect
other plants via vectors like aphids and white flies. I have had the trouble
in my Typhoniums. One aphid invasion one year, half of the collection
infected with virus next season.......

Cheerio,
Wilbert