From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: [aroid-l] aroid fruit

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Peter C Boyce
  To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
  Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 2:27 AM

  Dear Friends,

  To the list of 'edible' aroid fruits, add Taccarum, Synandrospadix and
Dracontium soconuscum (all S. American, all sweet and pleasant tasting,
though not much 'size/volume' to them), and of all things Dieffenbachia sp.,
as Dr. Croat has reported that the fruits of this, perhaps THE most
'dangerous' aroid (I have a fatality recorded), are also sweet and pleasant
  We sampled the ripe fruit on Philodendron soli. in Fr. Guyana, they too
were very sweet-tasting and pleasant.
  I do NOT recommend that ANYONE experiment of tasting aroid fruit!   NOT a
safe hobby!!!!   Recently I was demonstrating the wonderful taste of my ripe
Monstera fruit in my front yard to my Guatemalan friend, he must have bitten
a TINY bit of the covering caps, and he was in pain!
  I don`t know if Peter mentioned it, but the fruit/seeds of the S. American
giant aquatic aroid Montrichardia are reportedly roasted and eaten by
natives per Deni Bown in her WONDERFUL book on Aroids.
  Jason, an interesting note on a birds ability to consume hot chile
peppers, as a boy our parrot LOVED to eat the hottest peppers, our scotch
bonnets, but afterward would demonstrate one of the commoner symptoms of the
eating of these hot fruit, which as boys we often demonstrated after eating
slices of green mangos dipped in chile-laden salt, he/she would 'pant',
holding his beak/mouth open, tongue thrust outward and 'kicking', for a long
period after eating.   I believe that the 'heat' of these fruit affected
him!   The smaller 'bird peppers' were eagerly consumed off the bush by palm
tanagers and the giant crested fly-catchers, but were swallowed whole due to
their smaller size.

  Good Growing,

  Julius Boos

  >>Arum fruits have a sweet, slightly astringent flavour that soon gives
way to
  intense burning of the soft parts of the mouth and the throat.

  I don't have precise details of the ages of the children reported to have
  died after ingensting Arum fruits, although for those I have such data
  ranged from 3 to 9 years.