[aroid-l] Care when mowing down unwanted elephant ears

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Care when mowing down unwanted elephant ears
  • From: <hcward416@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:38:55 -0500

Yesterday I was mowing down a clump of extremely wet elephant ears that
produce runners underground and was going to spray them with roundup
afterwards. The lawnmower blower got clogged and after stopping the machine
I laid down on the ground and reached under mower to clean out the
clippings. I forgot that elephant ears are loaded with oxalic acid. As a
result my arms and legs are on fire and have been since yesterday. It was
like being stung with thousands of red ants. I will not be doing that
again-ever!!!!
Hope this helps so that no one else makes this mistake.
Barbara