Re: [aroid-l] Let the--. Mitch. and others.

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Let the--. Mitch. and others.
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" <mmarcotr@email.smith.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:04:02 -0400

Everyone is forgetting the great deals you can get if you know how to
shop on ebay. I've gotten many a nice plant for 5.00 that sells in
catalogs for 25.00 not to mention the crazy shipping prices of mail
order catalogs. Most ebayers charge about 5.00 to ship a plant and will
combine orders without increasing shipping cost. Catalogs on the
otherhand are famous for asking 25-30% of the cost. One that shall
remain nameless has a common cultivar for 10.00 and a rare one for
200.00 so they (and I did not order from them) wanted 30% of the 200.00
to ship the rare one. I asked them why it costs 60.00 to mail the rare
plant and 3.00 to mail the common one. They got nasty and told me where
to go. Guess they are too stupid to figure out a fair shipping rate. The
other thing about ebay is it is easier to shop than finding every small
business that is not 'on line' . There are still many tiny hobby and
small business folks that are nearly invisible unless you find out how
to get their list the old fashioned way - by reading an add and sending
2.00 for the list. They don't want to be online so they are hurting
themselves.

_______________________________

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College
Lyman Conservatory, 15 College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
www.smith.edu/garden
www.science.smith.edu/~mmarcotr
"Art is the unceasing effort to compete with
     the beauty of flowers and never succeeding."
          Marc Chagall

>>> ju-bo@msn.com 07/28/04 05:10AM >>>

>From: "Mitch ." <iamwhatiam52@hotmail.com>
>To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Let the buyers beware.
>Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:42:27 -0400

Dear All,
Obviously there are some GREAT deals and VERY honest dealers on auction
sites, I know many.  Some Amorphophallus sps., seeds, etc. are available
nowhere else, go for them.    The 'buyer beware' posting was a caution
against OBVIOUS (to most of us) rip-off artists, a caution to the
new-comers to look more closely, and in a manner of speaking to "sort
the wheat from the chaff" as it were.   For those who fail to do so,
learn to like the taste of chaff is all I say.
The auction at Fairchild where over $1,000.00 was paid for a
Philodendron can NOT be compared to what I am discussing, as the Philo.
sps. in question belongs to a species which exists in the wild
consisting of a population of less than ten plants, and maybe twenty or
so plants (most from cuttings from three  plants collected in the 70`s).
  The proceeds from this auction also go as support to the IAS, the
group that helps support ( I think!) this web site.
To contact a seller on the site I mentioned is not possible unless you
register on that site as a customer, this I choose NOT to do, I do not
work w/ auction houses, this is my choice.
Good luck all!    For those who pay big bucks and end up with a
Syngonium podophyllum or Epipremnum pinnatum, or a common Anthurium sp.
from K-Mart instead of a 'rare Philodendron', take heart---all of these
are rare in Alaska or Russia.
Good Growing.
Julius Boos
WPB, FLORIDA