Re: [aroid-l] Let the--. Mitch. and others.

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Let the--. Mitch. and others.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:10:50 +0000

>From: "Mitch ." <iamwhatiam52@hotmail.com>
>To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Let the buyers beware.
>Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:42:27 -0400

Dear All,

Obviously there are some GREAT deals and VERY honest dealers on auction sites, I know many.  Some Amorphophallus sps., seeds, etc. are available nowhere else, go for them.    The 'buyer beware' posting was a caution against OBVIOUS (to most of us) rip-off artists, a caution to the new-comers to look more closely, and in a manner of speaking to "sort the wheat from the chaff" as it were.   For those who fail to do so, learn to like the taste of chaff is all I say.

The auction at Fairchild where over $1,000.00 was paid for a Philodendron can NOT be compared to what I am discussing, as the Philo. sps. in question belongs to a species which exists in the wild consisting of a population of less than ten plants, and maybe twenty or so plants (most from cuttings from three  plants collected in the 70`s).   The proceeds from this auction also go as support to the IAS, the group that helps support ( I think!) this web site.

To contact a seller on the site I mentioned is not possible unless you register on that site as a customer, this I choose NOT to do, I do not work w/ auction houses, this is my choice.

Good luck all!    For those who pay big bucks and end up with a Syngonium podophyllum or Epipremnum pinnatum, or a common Anthurium sp. from K-Mart instead of a 'rare Philodendron', take heart---all of these are rare in Alaska or Russia.

Good Growing.

Julius Boos