Re: [aroid-l] Amorph Blues Part 2

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorph Blues Part 2
  • From: ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:02:43 -0400

It just got sunburned. This is common when placing any plant outdoors in the
sun after it's been indoors. Even we cacti growers take weeks to acclimate
our plants to the outdoor sun, starting first in a partly sunny location and
moving gradually into as much sun as the plant will like.

This is a good lesson that a lot of plant-o-philes need to learn more than
once. A sunny window is no match for direct sun outdoors. The intensity
outdoors is *much* higher and plants get sunburn just like people. The plant
should survive, but if the leaf is too damaged then you must hope for a new
leaf to sprout.

And just because I'm well acquainted with plant sunburn doesn't mean I
always do it right, either. I sunburned almost all of my A. dunnii this

My own experience with the nice red edge on bulbifer, by the way, is that it
appears with the leaf is new and then fades. Is that what others have seen?

-Ken Mosher