[Aroid-l] Dracontium prancei , mass mid winter flowering

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Dracontium prancei , mass mid winter flowering
  • From: "Michael Pascall" mickpascall@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:51:15 +1000

We have had a very mild winter up here in tropical Queensland , and this has fooled many mature plants of Dracontium prancei . Most of these are in pots and they usually go dormant long before the clumps planted out do so. The stems of all the potted plants had collapsed a few weeks ago , but just a few days ago Peter Sargent noticed many buds emerging , and they all seem to be infloresences ! This specie has set seed here several times , but seems to have proven very tasty to some of the rainforest 'critters' as it gets eaten just as it ripens . A large clump planted just near the main shed at Whyanbeel is still very much in growth , and just had a full seed head ripen , I took several pictures of the berries and seeds to add to our IAS gallery .

Michael Pascall,