Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Sauromatum guttatum culture

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Sauromatum guttatum culture
  • From: Walter Greenwood walterg@nauticom.net
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 08:19:41 -0400

Kyle,

My cultural method is to drop them in the ground and stand back. I am also in zone 5 (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), with much the same temperature profile, and mine overwinter in the ground just fine and flower quite freely. Having said that, we don't get down into the -15F to -20F very often, certainly not every year. I dig up what I can find and bring them in, but I probably miss more than half of them. I never manage to put every one that I dug up back in - there are just too many of them. Most of mine are on the periphery of a horse manure pile, so they have a supplementary heat source even in the coldest weather, but other plants far away from the manure pile also make it through the winter under a hay mulch.

-WG

<kylefletcherbaker@yahoo.com>
Hey George..ell their in pots and my zone is 5..-20 at
times during winter and up to 90* during
summer...their overwintered in the basement 45* - 50*
left dry and brought out during spring-summer and fed
heavily as I can ..
but they never bloom after 5 years...lots of small
corms and foliage but no bloom's...

kfb-maine