[Aroid-l] Re: Aroid-l Digest, Vol 12, Issue 7

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Aroid-l Digest, Vol 12, Issue 7
  • From: Don Martinson llmen@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 19:15:38 -0500

I have several plants that I placed outdoors early in June in Central Massachusetts
when we first had some 75F days/50F nights. The plants I'm growing (forgive any typos:)
Saurotum venosum
Amorphophallus konjac, bulbifer, odoratus
I had some plants begin some roots around the shoot but then they got hit with a 38-40F
night temp. that seems to have induced a dormancy again.
Will these plants snap out of it? The Konjac and bulbifer appear to have lengthened its growing shoot infintesimally
so not sure if I'm imagining it (Note: A. konjac bloomed in February).

Is it best to leave them outside in 80F temps or is there something I should try to get them growing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirk Martin
Fitchburg Massachusetts

Hi Kirk,

I can only help with northerly cultivation of the Sauromatum and the konjac. Both of them are happiest when the temperature warms to 80F or above. Lower than that, they will slow down. My konjacs bloom in March, when I bring them up from the basement.

Your plants should be fine.

--
Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin