Re: [Aroid-l] Hardy Sauromatum?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Hardy Sauromatum?
  • From: Don Martinson llmen@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 19:09:08 -0500

I was given a Sauromatum by a friend in Columbus, OH that is fully hardy on Canton, OH (z5b). It blooms every year, sets seeds and pups religiously. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Probably just the same Typhonium venosum, as it is now called.

The leaf is large, about 3' tall and it really spirals from the center to the edges. I don't know if it has reseeded itself as I am only there a couple weeks at a time. I have thought about harvesting the seeds but I haven't.

Typhonium venosum is one of those plants which offsets or pups so freely that it is hardly worth the bother of harvesting and germinating seeds unless you have some specific reason for doing so.

My experience with this plant, which has only overwintered for me once here in Milwaukee, is that it is hardy in the ground to about 0 or +5 degrees F. Siting next to a building or additional mulch will probably gain you another 10 or 15 degrees lower in temp.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Aroid-l mailing list