RE: [Aroid-l] Growing Alocasia-help to keep the from rotting

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Growing Alocasia-help to keep the from rotting
  • From: "Denis Rotolante" denis@skg.com
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:18:19 -0400

Title: Message
Alocasias, particularly the Amazonica type for some reason are particularly prone to bacterial infections(usually Erwinea) at the ground level base of rhizome. The plant shows no symptoms until it falls over and you find the stem is turned to mushy yuck right at ground level.This is a problem not only with the amatuer grower but the professional as well. As a member of the latter group I have found that using more fungicide does not resolve the problem. The key to avoiding the rot is to avoid having too much water dumped on the plants in the rainy season and in particular in the cool winter season when the plants are not growing.
If you can control your watering by avoiding rain as a source, you can apply only what the plant needs you may be able to ameliorate the problem of stem rot. This is usually the problem many retail Garden Center have; they will buy Alocasia wholesale from a greenhouse operation where watering is controlled and put them in a location where they are exposed to rain and  puddles with no regard to frequency of watering. Rot invariably insues and the pots of once beautiful plants drop dead.
Leaf disease and rotting may also be a problem but that can be resolved by removing diseased leaves and avoiding overhead water which can splash the bacteria from leaf to leaf and plant to plant.
If your favorite alocasia does succumb to stem rot there is still a chance the plant can regrow from small satellite rhizomes separated from the main stem, so don't throw it out right away.

I am curious as to whether someone else has a different take on this particularly vexing problem.

Denis
Silver Krome Gardens
Homestead Florida.